Friday, February 13, 2009

The Mind of Zander; Zanderworks, Zanderiffic

"The best review I ever got was not from a music critic, but from my father. He was 94 years old at the time and completely blind. He attended a Master Class I gave in London and sat there in his wheelchair for about three hours. When it was over, I went to speak with him. He lifted up his finger in his characteristic way and said, 'I see that you are actually a member of the healing profession.' It seemed to me the highest accolade."
- Benjamin Zander




I love how Benjamin Zander thinks, and sees his world. He's been the conductor of the Boston Philharmonic since 1979, he is also a teacher at The New England Conservatory of Music, speaker, guest conductor, lecturer, composer...the list goes on. These 20 minutes with him were some of the most inspiring I've ever spent with anyone. I'm already a lover of classical music, but now I can hear impulses and understand what 'one buttock' playing is...do you???!!! You must watch to find out. Oh, and try containing your tears while watching this...just try I dare you :0)

Mr. Zander also studied alongside one of my favorite classical composers. Benjamin Britten. Mr. Zander eventually learned music theory from Mr. Britten's assistant, who was the daughter of composer Gustav Holst!!!! Another favorite of mine. I tell you, I'd be in heaven if I could've witnessed this amazing trio at work. Seriously, heaven.


Britten is the tall one. Zander is on the left.

No comments: